Sir John Soane's Museum Drawings

Some 1,462 drawings produced by Soane and his office for his roles as Architect to the Bank of England and Attached Architect to the Office of Works with responsibility for Westminster and Whitehall are being catalogued as part of 'Money, Power and Politics: Sir John Soane's Architecture for the Regency State'. This project covers several of Soane's public commissions: alterations to the House of Lords and the House of Commons, the Board of Trade and Privy Council Offices, the Old Foreign Office, Nos 10 & 11 Downing Street and the New State Paper Office, as well as the Bank of England's Branch Banks, New Bank Buildings and the National Debt Redemption Office.

'Money, Power and Politics' has been generously funded by The Pilgrim Trust and the Leon Levy Foundation. Thanks to this funding, the Museum has been able to offer training and temporary employment to a recent graduate, Tom Drysdale, who is learning to catalogue under the tuition and supervision of Jill Lever. This project follows on from 'Building Sites' and is part of a wider mission to open up the Museum's collections to a worldwide audience. The expected completion date is January 2015.

 

New Bank Buildings

Sir John Soane was appointed architect to the Bank of England in 1788, a post he held for 45 years. It was in the middle of his tenure that Soane was directed to design five new houses for a vacant plot on the west side of Princes Street. The commissioning of these new houses came at a time when the northwest expansion of the Bank was nearing completion, in January 1807. This phase of work had included the building of the Tivoli Corner (erected 1806-7) and the realignment and widening of Princes Street, which was reopened to traffic on 29 September 1808. The Bank wished to profit from the land acquired from the Grocers' Company in 1800 (Abramson, op. cit. below, p. 158). The new houses were therefore to be let as mercantile residences and consisted of commercial offices on the ground floor and domestic accommodation for the proprietors and clerks above. The Bank struggled to find tenants owing to high rental charges and it was not until April 1810 that all of the houses were occupied

The history of the building of the five new houses may be divided into two stages; the first, from 1807 to 1809, when the houses were designed and erected and the second, from 1809 to 1811, when additional land behind the new houses was acquired and three counting houses built in the new space.

Soane was first asked to present a plan of the new houses to the Bank's Committee of Building on 5 March 1807 (drawing 1). After conferring with the Grocers' Company over a piece of land belonging to the Bank next to the vacant site, a plan was approved and the new houses ordered to be built in August of that year (drawings 2-5). The designs for the new houses appear to have gone through few variations before they were approved, and no drawings of the rear elevation are to be found in the Soane Museum. Perhaps this is because its appearance was unremarkable, or else that it was shielded from sight by the buildings behind on Old Jewry. The new houses were under construction by the end of the year. Writing in his Memoirs of the Professional Life of an Architect (1835) Soane described the houses as 'one uniform pile, in every respect symmetrically composed, and presenting more of the appearance of one grand hotel than of several distinct mansions' (p. 33). The frontage (drawings 110-12) was decorated with incised pilasters, fret moulding and antefixes in what has been described as 'an extreme example of the dissatisfaction with the self-effacing fronts of most C18 houses that overtook house-builders in the early C19' (S. Bradley and N. Pevsner, op cit. below, p. 98). Internally, Soane masterfully arranged five equal-sized houses on an irregular corner site while maintaining a single, unified exterior that presented a look of modern yet sober commercialism.

The second stage of work was prefaced in April 1808 by the offer of an estate in Old Jewry to the Bank for £10,000. This estate belonged to the Company of Armourers and Braziers and included the Old Jewry Meeting House as well as almshouses and other private dwellings. Although the Committee wished to make a deal, it was discovered in January 1809 that the Braziers were not legally entitled to sell the premises without the consent of Parliament and it was not until December 1809 that the estate was finally purchased by the Bank. The delay had not precluded Soane from making plans of the new plot, however (drawings 46-47), and the Committee negotiated the vacating of the Meeting House and the adjacent houses during 1809.

The acquisition of the premises behind the new buildings allowed Soane to design three counting houses for Nos 1, 2 and 3. The London Dock Company, which occupied house No. 1, had requested a separate building for its Secretary in February 1809, and Messrs Thellusson, Nephew & Co. (then of No. 3) followed suit in October. Plans of the counting houses for Nos 2 and 3 were presented to the Committee and approved on 7 March 1810, and the new offices were built during the year. The entrances to the counting houses were particularly Soanean and coupled associations of security and commercialism with sepulchral elements (drawing 91).

While the building of the new houses was relatively straightforward, finding suitable tenants proved much more difficult for the Committee. The principal cause of this difficulty was the high level of rent demanded by the Bank. Delays in construction also caused problems. The houses were originally reserved for five individuals. Soane was asked by the Committee to propose the rental rates for the new properties. In May 1809 three separate reports were commissioned to calculate the rents at 5% of the total costs, from which Soane was directed to take an average. Thereafter it was resolved to set the rents on leases of 21 years as follows:

No. 1: £525 p.a.

No. 2: £315 p.a.

No. 3: £320 p.a.

No. 4: £360 p.a.

No. 5: £450 p.a.

In defence of these high rents, Soane offered an estimate of the comparative building costs for each of the houses between 1807 and 1809, which he found to have risen significantly owing to increasing material costs. High rents did prove an obstacle to some tenants and it was not until 1810 that the houses were all finally let, as follows:

No. 1: The London Dock Company

Beeston Long (1757-1820), the Governor of the Bank of England from 1806-8 and Chairman of the London Dock Company reserved No. 1 in 1808. A private firm which was responsible for constructing the Wapping docks, the London Dock Company profited hugely from a 21-year monopoly on unloading all vessels bringing tobacco, rice, wine and brandy to the port (except those from the East and West Indies). In February 1809 it was estimated that £11,000 had been spent on building the London Dock Company's house, and the request for a separate building for the company's Secretary raised this amount to £13,500. Rent was estimated at £540 plus a ground rent of £110 per annum, although in June this was revised to £525. In a letter dated 13 June 1809 the London Dock Company agreed to rent house No. 1 'provided that the Directors of the Bank of England agree to erect such other additional Building in the rear of the present House as the Company may deem necessary. And provided also an additional entrance from the Old Jewry be secured to the Company to the present House or any other Building that may be erected for the Company' (Bank Archives, M5/262, p. 127). The house was occupied from Christmas 1810. In October of the following year additional rooms were built at the rear of the premises for £400, increasing the rent to £545 p.a.

No. 2: Messrs Thellusson, Nephew & Co.

Soane made designs and alterations for premises belonging to the three sons of Peter Thellusson (1737-97), an Anglo-French merchant banker, in 1792 and 1800. It was the second son, George Woodford Thellusson (1764-1811) who, with his nephew, George, and partner William Mitchell applied for a house in the New Bank Buildings, having been informed by Soane of their availability in March 1809. Writing to the Bank in June, Thellusson & Co. noted the high rent, but concluded 'that the Committee of Building have not fixed that rent without due consideration and therefore we submit to it' (Bank Archives, M5/262, p. 128). This was on the condition that the house would be fitted with a safe and a wine cellar, a request with which the Bank complied. In September the company asked for a counting house to be built 'with one room about 25 feet long and width in proportion & proper height and over that another room same size divided in two with sky light only.' It was resolved by the Committee 'that Messrs Thellussons be permitted to have the House No. 2 instead of No. 3 but that no additional Buildings be allowed to be erected higher than the Basement Story of the House' (Bank Archives, M5/262, p. 137). The following January the company relinquished house No. 3, but in February agreed to take No. 2 instead, which they occupied from Lady Day (25 March) 1811. The rent was increased by £49 after the counting house was completed at a cost of £980.

No. 3: Manning & Co.

William Manning (1763-1835), a merchant, MP, member of the Committee of Building and Governor of the Bank (1812-14), did not apply for a house until January 1810 after Messrs Thellusson, Nephew & Co. had rejected No. 3. The terms were that 'at least three of the Chief rooms' would be fitted with marble chimneypieces, that the lease would be granted for 35 years, that the Meeting House behind would be 'taken down (conformably to a plan already prepared) before the commencement of the Term', and that the lease should 'contain a clause enabling us, at any time hereafter, to build Counting Houses under the direction of your own Surveyor' (Bank Archives, M5/262, pp. 155-6). The Bank agreed to the terms, although the lease remained at 21 years. A counting house was built, and Manning & Co. moved into the property on Michaelmas (29 September) 1810.

Nos 4-5: Joseph Kaye

House No. 5 was reserved for Joseph Kaye (1755/6-1840), the Bank's solicitor, in March 1808. The following February he requested that the house be ready for occupation by 1 August. In May, however, Kaye asked to be relieved 'from the inconvenience & the suspense which he is now subjected to on account of the delay which has taken place in finishing the House in Princes Street which has been reserved for him' (Bank Archives, M5/262, p. 120). Despite his association with the Bank, Kaye received no preferential treatment, for he wrote to the Committee of Building in July 1809 that the proposed rent of £450 p.a. exceeded 'by at least one third what I expected the Bank would have required me to pay and [exceeds] in the same proportion my estimation of the value of the accommodation the House affords' (Bank Archives, M5/262, p. 129). £350 p.a. was Kaye's offer. In February 1810, Messrs Smith, Cheeseman & Co. agreed to terms for house No. 4, but relinquished it 11 months later. The lease was subsequently requested by Kaye, who was granted the tenancy at a reduced rate of £310 p.a. The rent of No. 5 was also reduced by £50. In return it was decided that one of Kaye's rooms should be used as a repository for the Bank's law papers.

The Committee of Building minutes for May 1812 record that 'a letter was read from Messrs Manning, Anderdon & Co., Mr. Mitchell & Messrs Kaye & Freshfield requesting that the New Houses which they occupy adjoining to Princes St may be called Bank Buildings or New Bank Buildings, on which the Committee directed Mr Soane to have the words New Bank Buildings painted on one of the said Houses' (Bank Archives, M5/263, p. 45). George Bailey, Soane's pupil and assistant, added titles to a number of drawings during his time as Curator of the Soane Museum (1837-60), hence the reason that the name 'New Bank Buildings' appears on drawings dated as early as 1807.

The houses on Princes Street were twice threatened with at least partial demolition as part of plans to widen Lothbury to improve traffic circulation. Soane recounted both proposals in his Memoirs of the Professional Life of an Architect (1835) in a section based heavily on his comments presented to the Committee of Building in 1825 (drawings 114-5). Soane was very defensive of his buildings which were 'arranged & settled with the City Surveyor so as to make a part of the great Plan then in contemplation for the improvement of the City' (Bank Archives, M5/623, p. 3). The houses survived both scares and were demolished at the end of the 19th century when they were replaced by the 'ornately Neo-Palladian' Bank Buildings of A. C. Blomfield. Bradley and Pevsner say that 'a characteristic gable end of Soane's building survives, trapped between later party walls' (op. cit., p. 581).

In addition to the 115 drawings catalogued here, the New Bank Buildings are shown in five drawings made for Soane's Royal Academy lectures (SM 12/4/1-5). Two views of the houses are also included in Joseph Gandy's composite drawing of views of the Bank of England, 1822 (P84). The New Bank Buildings appear three times in Gandy's capriccio of Soane's executed designs, 1818 (P87) in the form of a model of the houses, a plan of the houses and a model of the entrances to the counting houses.

The Bank of England Archive has material related to Soane's work at the Bank of England, including Minute Books of the Committee of Building, 1803-38, Soane's comments on the proposals for widening Lothbury, Freshfields' papers, title deeds and plans of the houses made before their demolition. Besides the drawings catalogued here, there is further material relating to the New Bank Buildings in the Soane Museum's archive. For more information about this material, please contact the Archivist, Sue Palmer, spalmer@soane.org.uk.

 

Literature:

Sir John Soane, Memoirs of the Professional Life of an Architect, 1835; W. Marston Acres, The Bank of England from Within, volume 2, 1931; D. Stroud, The Architecture of Sir John Soane, 1961; J. Summerson, 'Sir John Soane and the furniture of death', Architectural Review, March 1978, pp.147-58; J. Slinn, A History of Freshfields, 1984; D. Stroud, Sir John Soane, Architect, 1996; D. Watkin, Sir John Soane: Enlightenment Thought and the Royal Academy Lectures, 1996; S. Bradley and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 1: The City of London, 1997; D. Abramson, 'The Bank of England', in John Soane, Architect: Master of Space and Light, 1999; G. Darley, John Soane: An Accidental Romantic, 1999; D. Abramson, Building the Bank of England, 2005; P. Dean, Sir John Soane and London, 2006.

 

Tom Drysdale, July 2013

Reference Number:

SM (1) 11/2/18

Purpose:

Survey plan with proposed layout of new houses, March 1807

Aspect:

1 General Plan of the Site of the Houses to be erected in Princes Street & Lothbury 1807 &c

Hand:

George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)

(1)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (2) volume 60/170 (3) 11/2/17 recto (4) 11/2/16 (5) volume 60/171

Purpose:

Preliminary designs for five new houses in Princes Street, August 1807 (4)

Aspect:

2 Front elevation Design for the proposed Houses in Princes Street; (verso): rough section through a wall

3 General Plan of a Design for Five Houses in Princes & Lothbury

4 General Plan of Five Houses designed to be erected in Princes Street & Lothbury

5 Perspective View of a Design for the proposed New Houses in Princes Street from Lothbury

Hand:

(2, 5) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) (3) Charles Malton (1788-?, pupil 1802-09), with additional inscriptions by George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) and Soane (4) Francis Edwards (1784-1857, improver 1806-10), with additional inscriptions by George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) and Soane

(2) recto



(2) verso



(3)



(4)



(5)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (6) 11/3/30 (7) 11/3/29 (8) 11/3/24

Purpose:

Variant designs for frontage of the new houses, August 1807 (3)

Aspect:

6 Front elevation Design for New Houses in Princes Stt with plan of frontage; (verso) details of moulding

7 Elevation Design for the Front of the New Houses in Princes Street with plan of frontage; (verso) outline plan of former properties on the site of the new buildings

8 Plan and sections through Porch &c to House No 1

Hand:

(6, 7, 8) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60), (6) with additions by Soane; (6 verso) Soane

(6) recto



(6) verso



(7) recto



(7) verso



(8)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (9) 11/2/15 (10) 11/2/14

Purpose:

Further designs for the new houses, August 1807 (2)

Aspect:

9 General Plan of Five Houses designed to be erected in Princes Street & Lothbury

10 General Plan of a Design for Five Houses in Princes Street & Lothbury 1807

Hand:

(9) Charles Malton (1788-?, pupil 1802-09) (10) Francis Edwards (1784-1857, improver 1806-10)

(9) recto



(9) verso



(10)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (11) 11/2/17 verso (12) 11/3/21 (13) 11/3/21 verso (14) 11/3/20 (15) 11/3/22

Purpose:

Designs for entrances to the new houses, September 1807 (5)

Aspect:

11 Elevations, plans and details of a porch

12 Design for Entrance Doorway / to House No 2

13 Details of cornice of entrance to No. 3

14 Design for Entrance Doorway / to House No 2

15 Detail of an architrave; (verso) detail of Cornice to ^over Doors of No 1 & 5

Hand:

(11, 13, 15) Soane (12) Robert Dennis Chantrell (1793-1872, pupil 1807-14) (14) James Adams, jnr. (1785-1850, pupil 1806-09)

(11)



(12)



(13)



(14)



(15) recto



(15) verso



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (16) 11/3/16

Purpose:

Preparatory sketch for Royal Academy lecture drawings, 1807

Aspect:

16 Perspective from south-east on Princes Street

Hand:

office

(16)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (17) 11/3/25 (18) 11/3/26 (19) 11/3/28 (20) 11/3/27

Purpose:

Designs for south front of the new houses, September 1807 (4)

Aspect:

17 Plan and elevation Designs for the South Flank of House No 1

18 Plan and elevation Designs for the South Flank of House No 1

19 Elevation of the South Side of House No 1 / New Bank Buildings as designed

20 Plan and elevation Designs for the South Flank of House No 1

Hand:

(17, 20) James Adams, jnr. (1785-1850, pupil 1806-09) (18) Francis Edwards (1784-1857, improver 1806-10) (19) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)

(17)



(18) recto



(18) verso



(19)



(20)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (21) 11/2/13 (22) 11/2/12 (23) 11/2/11

Purpose:

Further variant designs for five houses in Princes Street, September 1807 (3)

Aspect:

21 General Plan of a Design for Five Houses in Princes Street

22 General Plan of a Design for Five Houses in Princes Street & Lothbury

23 General Plan of a Design for Five Houses in Princes Street & Lothbury 1807

Hand:

(21) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) (22) Robert Dennis Chantrell (1793-1872, pupil 1807-14) (23) James Adams, jnr. (1785-1850, pupil 1806-09)

(21)



(22)



(23)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (23) 11/3/46 (24) 11/3/45 (25) 11/3/43 (26) 11/3/44

Purpose:

Designs for ground floor of houses Nos 1 & 2, September 1807 (4)

Aspect:

23 Design for the Principal Floor of Nos 1 & 2 New Bank Buildings

24 Design for the Principal Floor of Nos 1 & 2 New Bank Buildings

25 Design for the Principal Floor of No 1 & 2 New Bank Buildings

26 Design for the Principal Floor of Nos 1 & 2 New Bank Buildings

Hand:

(23, 26) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) (24) James Adams, jnr. (1785-1850, pupil 1806-09) (25) Soane

(23)



(24)



(25)



(26)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (28) 11/3/52 (29) 11/3/56

Purpose:

Designs for ground floor of houses Nos 3 & 4, September 1807 (2)

Aspect:

28 No. 3 New Bank Buildings / Design for the Principal Floor

29 Design for the Principal Floor of Nos 3 & 4 New Bank Buildings

Hand:

(28) James Adams, jnr. (1785-1850, pupil 1806-09) (29) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)

(28)



(29)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (30) 11/3/63 (31) 11/3/64 (32) 11/3/65

Purpose:

Designs for ground floor of houses Nos 4 & 5, September-October 1807 (3)

Aspect:

30 Nos 4 & 5 New Bank Buildings / Design for the Principal Floor

31 Nos 4 & 5 New Bank Buildings / Design for the Principal Floor

32 No 5 New Bank Buildings / Design for the Principal Floor

Hand:

(30, 31) Robert Dennis Chantrell (1793-1872, pupil 1807-14) (32) James Adams, jnr. (1785-1850, pupil 1806-09)

(30)



(31)



(32)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (33) 11/3/62 (34) 11/3/66 (35) 11/3/67 (36) 11/3/68

Purpose:

Further designs for ground floor of houses No. 5, December 1807-January 1808 (4)

Aspect:

33 Ground floor plan of No. 4 with site boundary and survey plan of buildings next to the site on Lothbury

34 No 5 New Bank Buildings / Design for the Principal Floor 1807

35 No 5 New Bank Buildings / Design for the Principal Floor

36 No 5 New Bank Buildings / Plan of the Basement Story (see note)

Hand:

(33, 36) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) (34, 35) James Adams, jnr. (1785-1850, pupil 1806-09)

(33)



(34)



(35)



(36) recto



(36) verso



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (37) 11/3/55 (38) 11/3/54

Purpose:

Designs for houses Nos 3 & 4, February 1808 (2)

Aspect:

37 Plan of Basement Story

38 Plan of Principal Floor

Hand:

(37, 38) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)

(37)



(38)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (39) volume 60/172 (40) volume 60/173

Purpose:

Designs for the houses, April 1808 (2)

Aspect:

39 Perspective Sketch of a Design for the proposed New Bank Buildings in Princes Street taken from Lothbury, north east of the new houses, with the Tivoli corner of the Bank of England in view

40 Perspective Sketch of a Design for "New Bank Buildings" in Princes Street taken from Lothbury, north of the new houses, with the Tivoli corner of the Bank of England in view

Hand:

(39, 40) Seward, Malton or Underwood (Day Books)

(39)



(40)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (41) 11/2/10

Purpose:

Design for the new houses as executed, April 1808

Aspect:

41 General Plan of Five Houses designed to be erected in Princes Street & Lothbury

Hand:

George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)

(41)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (42) 11/3/31 (43) 11/3/23

Purpose:

Design and working drawing for the attic, April 1808 (2)

Aspect:

42 Elevation Design for the Attic of the New Houses in Princes Street

43 Section of Design for Attic & Balustrade

Hand:

(42) Francis Edwards (1784-1857, improver 1806-10) (43) James Adams, jnr. (1785-1850, pupil 1806-09)

(42) recto



(42) verso



(43)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (44) 11/3/19 (45) 11/3/18

Purpose:

Designs for porch to house No. 1 and portico to house No. 3, ?July 1808 (2)

Aspect:

44 Plan of Portico of House No 3

45 Plan and elevation of Portico to House No 3

Hand:

(44, 45) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)

(44)



(45) recto



(45) verso



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (46) 11/3/14 (47) 11/3/15

Purpose:

Survey drawings of the Old Jewry Presbyterian Meeting House, April 1809 (2)

Aspect:

46 Ground floor plan of Part of the Five New Houses in Princes Street forming "New Bank Buildings" and the Meeting House in Old Jewry

47 Ground floor plan of part of the new houses and the Presbyterian Meeting House in Old Jewry

Hand:

(46) Robert Dennis Chantrell (1793-1872, pupil 1807-14) (47) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)

(46)



(47)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (48) 11/3/37 (49) 11/3/36 (50) 11/3/35

Purpose:

Survey drawings of house No. 1, as executed, June 1809 (3)

Aspect:

48 Plan of Principal floor / of No 1 Princes Street

49 Plan of One pair Floor / of No 1 Princes Street

50 Plan of Two Pair floor / of No 1 Princes Street

Hand:

(48-50) George Allen Underwood (1793-1829, assistant 1807-15)

(48)



(49)



(50)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (51) 11/3/51 (52) 11/3/50 (53) 11/3/49 (54) 11/3/48 (55) 11/3/47

Purpose:

Survey drawings of house No. 2, as executed (5)

Aspect:

51 Plan of Basement Story of No 2 New Bank Buildings

52 Plan of No 2 Ground floor; (verso): rough unfinished plan of attic

53 Plan of No 2 One Pair floor

54 Plan of No 2 Two pair floor

55 Plan of No 2 Attic

Hand:

(51-55) office (Bailey?)

(51)



(52) recto



(52) verso



(53)



(54)



(55)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (56) 11/3/61 (57) 11/3/60 (58) 11/3/59 (59) 11/3/58 (60) 11/3/57

Purpose:

Survey drawings of house No. 4, as executed (5)

Aspect:

56 Plan of No 4 Basement Story

57 Plan of the Ground floor

58 Plan of No 4 One pair floor

59 Plan of (No 4) Two Pair floor

60 Plan of the Attics

Hand:

(56-60) office (Bailey?)

(56)



(57)



(58)



(59)



(60)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (61) 11/3/73 (62) 11/3/72 (63) 11/3/71 (64) 11/3/70 (65) 11/3/69

Purpose:

Survey drawings of house No. 5, as executed, 1809 (5)

Aspect:

61 Plan of No 5 Basement Story

62 Plan of Ground Floor

63 Plan of One Pair Floor

64 Plan of Two Pair Floor

65 Plan of Garrets

Hand:

(61-65) office (Bailey?)

(61)



(62)



(63)



(64)



(65)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (66) 11/2/9 (67) 11/2/7 (68) 11/2/6 (69) 11/2/8 (70) 11/3/12

Purpose:

Survey drawing of the new houses and the Old Jewry Meeting House and designs for counting houses to be built behind the new houses, December 1809-January 1810 (5)

Aspect:

66 Ground floor plan of new houses and Old Jewry Meeting House

67 General Plan of the Five Houses in Princes Street and / Lothbury shewing the proposed new Offices at the back thereof and / the appropriation of the remainder of the property recently purchased by / the Bank in the Old Jewry

68 Plan shewing the proposed arrangement of the Counting Houses &c / at the back of the Houses in Princes Street submitted to the Committee / of building at the Bank & approved 17h Jany 1810

69 General Plan of the Five Houses in Princes Street & Lothbury &c / shewing the proposed appropriation of the Ground behind the same / recently purchased by the Bank &c

70 Plan showing Design for the proposed New Offices behind the Houses forming "New Bank Buildings"

Hand:

(66-70) George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) and (66-69) Francis Edwards (1784-1857, improver 1806-10)

(66)



(67)



(68)



(69)



(70)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (71) 38/4/3

Purpose:

Design for a counting house for Thellusson, Nephew & Co. (house No. 2), February 1810

Aspect:

71 Ground floor plan

Hand:

the office of Messrs Thellusson, Nephew & Co.

(71)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (72) 11/3/53

Purpose:

Survey drawing and designs for a counting house for house No. 3, March 1810

Aspect:

72 Plan of the Basement Story / of No 3 Princes Street

Hand:

Soane

(72)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (73) 11/3/8

Purpose:

Design for Messrs Thellusson, Nephew & Co.'s counting house (house No. 2), April 1810

Aspect:

73 Plan of the Principal Floor of the Counting House &c of Messrs Thelusson & Co No 2 New Bank Buildings and rough plan of ground floor of counting house for house No. 3

Hand:

George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60) and later additions by Soane

(73) recto



(73) verso



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (74) 11/3/9 (75) volume 60/169 (76) P207

Purpose:

Presentation drawings of Thellusson, Nephew & Co.'s counting house (house No. 2), May 1810 (3)

Aspect:

74 Ground floor plan of counting house

75 Interior perspective View of the Counting House of Messrs Thelussons Nephew & Co

76 Interior perspective View of the Counting House / of Messrs Thelussons Nephew & Co

Hand:

(74, 75) office (76) Francis Edwards (1784-1857, improver 1806-10)

(74)



(75)



(76)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (77) 11/3/34 (78) 11/3/32 (79) 11/3/33

Purpose:

Designs for alterations to house No. 1 for the London Dock Company, June 1810 (3)

Aspect:

77 Basement Plan of London Dock House / No 1 Princes Street / shewing the Alterations suggested by Mr Alexander / to adapt it for the accommodation of the Company / 1810

78 Ground floor Plan of the House No 1 "New Bank Buildings" shewing the Alterations suggested by Mr Alexander / to adapt it for the accommodation of the London Dock Company 1810

79 First floor Plan of the House No 1 "New Bank Buildings" shewing the Alterations suggested by Mr Alexander / to adapt it for the accommodation of the London Dock Company 1810

Hand:

(77-79) office of the London Dock Company

(77)



(78)



(79) flier down



(79) flier up



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (80) 11/3/5 (81) 11/3/4 (82) 11/3/11

Purpose:

Designs for the counting house of house No. 3, July 1810 (3)

Aspect:

80 Design for the Basement Story / of the Offices behind the House / No 3 New Bank Buildings

81 Design for the Counting House &c behind the House No 3 New Bank Buildings, Ground Floor

82 Plan of the First Floor / shewing the Mezzanine

Hand:

(80-82) Soane

(80)



(81)



(82)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (83) 11/3/6 (84) 11/3/7

Purpose:

Further designs for counting houses of houses No. 2 and 3, July 1810 (2)

Aspect:

83 Plan of the Basement Story of the / Offices behind the Houses No 2 & 3 / in "New Bank Buildings" as / designed

84 Ground floor plan

Hand:

(83, 84) office

(83)



(84) recto



(84) verso



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (85) 11/3/3 (86) 11/3/2

Purpose:

Designs for entrances to the counting houses, September 1810 (2)

Aspect:

85 Plan of the Entrances to the Offices of the London Dock Company / Messrs Thelussons & Co &c from the Old Jewry as designed; (verso): section through counting house of No. 2

86 Elevation Sketch of a Design for the Entrance to the Offices of the / London Dock Company from the Old Jewry

Hand:

(85) office (86) Soane

(85) recto



(85) verso



(86)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (87) 11/3/40 (88) 11/3/41 (89) 11/3/42 (90) 11/3/38

Purpose:

Designs for alterations to the basement of house No. 1, September 1810 (4)

Aspect:

87 Plan Design for the Basement / Story of No 1 New Bank / Buildings

88 Plan Design for the Basement Story / of No 1 New Bank Buildings

89 Plan Design for the Basement Story / of No 1 New Bank Buildings

90 Plan of the Basement Story of / No 1 New Bank Buildings

Hand:

(87, 88) George Allen Underwood (1793-1829, assistant 1807-15) (89, 90) office

(87)



(88)



(89)



(90)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (91) 11/3/1

Purpose:

Presentation drawing of the entrances to the counting houses as built, October 1810

Aspect:

91 Perspective Sketch of the Entrances to the Offices of the London Dock Company & the Counting House / of Messrs Thelusson Nephew & Co from the Old Jewry; (verso): elevation of entrance to Thellusson, Nephew & Co.'s counting house

Hand:

George Bailey (1792-1860, pupil then assistant 1806-37, curator 1837-60)

(91) recto



(91) verso



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (92) volume 71/1 (93) volume 71/2 (94) volume 71/4 (95) volume 71/5 (96) volume 71/3 (97) volume 71/6 (98) volume 71/7

Purpose:

Record drawings of Thellusson & Co.'s counting house (house No. 2), October-November 1810 (7)

Aspect:

92 Plan of Messrs Thelluson & Co's Counting House

93 Section of Messrs Thelusson & Co's Counting House on the line AB

94 Section of Messrs Thelusson's Office on the line CD

95 Section of Messrs Thelusson's Office on the line EF

96 Section of Messrs Thelusson's Office on the line GH

97 Section through ceiling and lantern showing timbers

98 Part plan of roof showing timbers

Hand:

(92-98) Robert Dennis Chantrell (1793-1872, pupil 1807-14) and John Buxton (pupil 1809-14)

(92)



(93)



(94)



(95)



(96)



(97)



(98)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (99) volume 71/14 (100) volume 71/8 (101) volume 71/9 (102) volume 71/10 (103) volume 71/11

Purpose:

Site progress drawing and record drawings of Manning & Co.'s counting house (house No. 3), October 1810 (5)

Aspect:

99 Interior perspective View of Messrs Anderton & Mannings Counting House

100 Plan of Messrs Manning & Co Counting House

101 Section of Messrs Manning & Co Office on the line AB

102 Section of Messrs Manning & Co Counting House on the line CD

103 Section of Messrs Manning & Co Counting House on the line EF

Hand:

(99) George Allen Underwood (1793-1829, assistant 1807-15) (100-103) Thomas Lee (1794-1834, trial improver 1810)

(99)



(100)



(101)



(102)



(103)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (104) volume 71/12 (105) volume 71/13

Purpose:

Site progress drawings of the counting houses, November 1810 (2)

Aspect:

104 Interior perspective View of Messrs Thelussons & Cos Office

105 Interior perspective View of Messrs Manning & Cos Office

Hand:

(104, 105) Robert Dennis Chantrell (1793-1872, pupil 1807-14)

(104)



(105)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (106) 11/2/5

Purpose:

Survey drawing of New Bank Buildings showing the proposed site for the National Debt Redemption Office, December 1817

Aspect:

106 General Plan of the Five Houses forming "New Bank Buildings" / together with the proposed site for the National Debt Redemption Office

Hand:

Edward Foxhall (1793-1862, pupil 1812-21)

(106)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (107) 11/3/39

Purpose:

Survey drawing of basement of house No. 1

Aspect:

107 Plan of the Basement Story of No 1 New Bank Buildings

Hand:

office

(107)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (108) 11/3/17

Purpose:

Design for a new entrance to house No. 5

Aspect:

108 Elevation of Doorway to House No 5

Hand:

office

(108) recto



(108) verso



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (109) 11/2/4 (110) 11/2/2 (111) 11/2/3 (112) 11/2/1

Purpose:

Survey drawings, September 1821 (4)

Aspect:

109 General Plan of the Five Houses in Princes Street forming "New Bank Buildings" - erected 1807-1810

110 Front Elevation

111 Elevation of the front in Lothbury

112 Front Elevation

Hand:

(109-112) Charles Edward Papendiek (1801-35, pupil 1818-24)

(109)



(110)



(111)



(112)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (113) 11/3/10

Purpose:

Survey drawing of basements of counting houses of Nos 2-3

Aspect:

113 Plan of the Basement Story of the Offices / behind the Houses No 2 & 3 in Princes Street

Hand:

office

(113)



view full details »

Reference Number:

SM (114) volume 90/3 (115) volume 90/4

Purpose:

Record drawings made for publication, 1835 (2)

Aspect:

114 Five site plans of the Bank of England and the New Bank Buildings on Princes Street

115 Elevation and perspectives of the New Bank Buildings

Hand:

(114, 115) ?C. J. Richardson

(114)



(115)



view full details »

© 2014 - The Trustees of Sir John Soane's Museum